Timebound.com.au is a time management and productivity website and app. It enables users to accommodate work time, leisure time, appointments and ‘block out’ time into their digital calendar. It also automatically estimates the amount of time it should take to complete the tasks, projects, appointments and leisure commitments. The userflows and wireframes were designed in Axure RP. View the full TimeBound Interactive Prototype here.
Eleven users were interviewed about their time management, workflows, productivity and work-life balance. These interviews were in preparation for generative research. Questions asked included the tools they use to manage their daily work and leisure balance e.g. their to do list, digital calendar; working environment, peak productivity times and awareness of how their personal and working lives differed. From this user research, one of the main key pain points was the lack of integration of to do lists with digital calendars and allocating ‘time-block’ indicators to be displayed in the user's calendar.
The key pain points uncovered in the research include:
Users could not integrate their to do lists with their calendar.
Users could not integrate easily changeable ‘time blocks’ for indication.
Users could not automatically allocate scheduled appointments based on their preferences.
Based on user feedback, users would need the product to have these key functions and outcomes:
The website/app will allow integration of calendar and to-do list and ‘flexible’ time block indications.
The app suggests important things to do when you are productive. Less important and non-urgent tasks are suggested when you are less productive.
The website/app will provide visual metrics to help users understand where they are wasting time and what tasks and activities are more intense and time consuming.
Customer Journey Map
Once the semi-functional interactive prototype was built and a Test and Recruitment plan was drafted, five participants were recruited to take part in a summative usability test. The key issues uncovered include:
After the testing was complete and the user results collated, some usability issues were uncovered. The key usability issues found were:
Text Labelling & Text Inputs: The labelling on the text inputs need to be more specific and the text, radio buttons, checkboxes and dropdown inputs need to be enlarged, as some users found them hard to click on.
Time Zone Dropdowns: Some users were confused by the Time zone dropdowns in the create time block modal, as they didn’t fully understand their purpose.
Managing your Account & Account Settings in Header: Some users were confused by the Managing your Account under the Tutorials dropdown and Account Settings under the User Preferences dropdown in the global navigation. Additionally, another function that users were unsure to click first is the Buy Plan and Create an Account buttons on the homepage.
After the project, I learned that understanding the core experience of the user is important in interaction design. I also learned strategies in becoming adaptable in the design process and which processes to prioritise during time constraints. For instance, I could not complete a card sorting and empathy mapping activity, which would have been beneficial to further understanding the users' requirements and behaviour, but this was not required for the assessment.
Another constraint I faced during the usability testing stage is that most of my usability tests were conducted remotely. This was due to COVID19. From my experience, I found that remote testing is still effective, though I believe that in-person testing delivers the best results.